When birds reach slaughter weight (about 5 lbs for broiler chickens), they are gathered up and sent to slaughter. For most chickens, this is the first and only time they will see the sky or breathe fresh air. The journey from grow house to slaughterhouse can be long and arduous, subjecting these frightened and defenseless animals to more misery. Chickens are commonly shipped to slaughter in open crates stacked on large
"Free-Range" VS. Battery Cage
- Both battery and free-range chickens get debeaked with a hot bloody blade at one day old with no anesthetic.
- Both battery and free-range chickens are force molted (intentionally starved to shock the body into another laying cycle).
- Both battery and free-range chickens are violently packed into a semi and trucked hundreds of miles to an agonizing slaughter.
- Both battery and free-range chickens are denied the opportunity to live a natural life.
- Both battery and free-range male chicks are brutally killed simply because they can't lay eggs and are of no use to the industry.
For additional information you may visit the FreeRangeMyth website.